- Causing awe or terror; inspiring wonder or excitement.
- showing or characterized by awe.
|Modern usage of awesome|
/ɔ/ noun, verb
- an overwhelming feeling of reverence, admiration, fear, etc., produced by that which is grand, sublime, extremely powerful, or the like: in awe of god; in awe of great political figures.
- power to inspire fear or reverence.
- fear or dread.
–verb (used with object)
- to inspire with awe.
- to influence or restrain by awe.
So, the breaking of huge waves on a rocky shore, a dinosaur skeleton, the thundering roar of a massive waterfall, the Great Pyramid of Giza, the Grand Canyon and the vastness of open space in the cosmos are awesome.
Awesome is not how you describe EVERYTHING (along with 'Omygod' and 'Shit'). Awesome is not the new 'cool'. And contrary to popular belief, Barney Stinson is not, I repeat, not awesome.
Bonus: Eddie Izzard
Let's leave the Dog's Bollocks discussion for some other day. But isn't he awesome?